What began as a startup in an apartment in San Francisco has had a dramatic impact not only on the CRM world, but on the software industry as a whole. Just to give you an idea of just how much, consider these facts and figures from salesforce.com’s history:
- Customers: 1,500 customers in 2000. More than 100,000 today.
- Employees: 87 employees in 2002. More than 13,000 globally today.
- Dreamforce: 1,300 registrants at its first Dreamforce in 2003. More than 143,000 registrants in 2013.
- AppExchange: 100 partner apps built on the AppExchange in 2006. More than 2,000 today.
- Developers: 100,000 in 2008. More than 1.4 million today.
To further mark the occasion, salesforce.com’s CEO, Marc Benioff, sent out the following email:
“Today, as salesforce.com celebrates our 15th birthday, I want to say THANK YOU to each and every customer.
“We started salesforce.com in 1999 with a goal of making enterprise software as easy to use as a Web site like Amazon.com. Fifteen years later, it is truly awesome to see how much our industry has transformed.
From our very first day, we have stayed true to our number one value of customer success. We are both humbled and inspired by the incredible innovation we have seen from our customers and look forward to many more years of helping all of you grow, innovate, and succeed
“Please help us celebrate at www.salesforce.com/15 and by sharing your own story with the hashtag #salesforce15. The past 15 years have been truly amazing. Thank you for your continued support.”